• Posted by Califia Suntree on February 20th, 2013, 11:40 AM

I’m undertaking an in-depth study of brownbagging, dear readers, and I’d love your input. (By “brownbagging” I mean bringing your lunch to work, not whatever dirty thing first came to mind.) What are your favorite DIY lunches? What is your go-to, beyond PB&J and leftover Thai food? Do you have a system? Favorite equipment? Please share any and all thoughts about LUNCH in the comments.

In gratitude, here is one of my favorite lunch salads, which actually improves by sitting in the fridge. Make the full amount; the next day, it’s softened enough to be a tasty sandwich or wrap filling.

Makes 3-4 servings

½ red onion
    1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
    ¼ cup lemon juice
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups canned or cooked chickpeas
    2 large stalks celery
    1 cup packed curly parsley leaves
    1 5-ounce can tuna, drained (or 2 chopped boiled eggs, for vegetarians. Add right before eating.)
    1/4 cup olive oil

1. Thinly slice the onion and put it in a medium-sized bowl with the crushed garlic. Pour the lemon juice over the slices and season generously with salt and pepper. Add the chickpeas and stir to combine.
    2. Split the celery stalks lengthwise and then slice them very thinly crosswise.
    3. Roughly chop the parsley leaves (no stems) and add to the bowl along with the celery, tuna, and olive oil. Stir to combine, and then adjust seasoning to taste.

Comments

1. February 20th, 2013 at 11:44 am
    bill kasper

hey, lif.

generally a sandwich (some sort of cold cuts/tuna/cut up meat leftovers with cheese, onion, mustard/chutney/etc., maybe some tomatos, etc), plus two satsumas, two apples, and a banana. pretty much like clockwork.

occasionally leftovers if we stir-fry or do pasta, but usually i don’t want to eat a lump of food (generally the rice or pasta that goes with the rest).

i hope portland is treating you well!
    x

2. February 20th, 2013 at 11:45 am
    Califia Suntree

Thanks Bill!

3. March 15th, 2013 at 9:00 pm
    Sharan Gainor

shopping for your recipe tomorrow. Hope I can find Chickpeas in the land of black beans!
    I love left over potato or egg salad next day for lunch in the
    park, while having my Spanish lesson.

4. March 15th, 2013 at 9:04 pm
    Califia Suntree

Regular white beans would be delicious too!

5. March 15th, 2013 at 9:02 pm
    Sharan Gainor

going tomorrow to shop for your recipe. Hope I can find
    chick peas in the land of black beans!
    I love either left over potato or egg salad for lunch the next day in the Central park while having my Spanish lesson.